Friday, May 3, 2019

Impact from the Association of Writers and Publishers Conference 2019



AWP #19 was held in Portland, Oregon March 27-30, and I attended for the first time.  

The follow up e-mails indicated 15,000 attendees.  There were over 500 events, panels, speakers, and book signings scheduled, and there were 880 vendors in the Bookfair.  All I can say is, 
“It was A LOT!”

I don’t fancy myself an author, despite the publication of “Distilling Hope.”  However, I have recently begun to wander into the realm of personal stories for performance purposes, and find it a path full of land mines!  I decided to take advantage of those panels that spoke to the realm of the personal narrative as a way to feed my storytelling Muse.  

T Kira Madden has written “Here’s to the Tribe of Fatherless Girls,” a powerful story of a woman whose parents were addicts.  She was asked how she managed to portray these less than perfect parents with any kind of compassion.  Here response was that she “had to give them a heart.”  Tears came unbidden.

My father was an alcoholic.  Until my boys were 3 and 7 years old, I was an active alcoholic, as was their dad.   My brother, their uncle, was an alcoholic. That particular kind of neglect was all around them, and I carried that guilt for a very long time, in spite of the fact that I got sober and stayed that way.  I still do, sometimes.  I hope and pray that my parenting as a sober woman was good enough, attentive enough, nurturing enough for them to forgive me.  My sons say they harbor no ill will towards me, and assure me that my parenting was “good enough.” 
I realized I was a fatherless girl, and I was able to forgive him.  I guess I should believe my sons.

No comments:

Post a Comment