Thursday, May 23, 2019

Book Signings


One Day at a Time Gift Shop, Rehoboth, DE

When I was at the Association of Writers and Publishers in Portland, Oregon in March, I witnessed book signing
after book signing. People just lined up to get a book signed. I had dreamed of such events for
“Distilling Hope: 12 Stories that distill the 12 Steps”.  With 22 million people in Recovery and another 22 million
who could be, or should be, I thought that people would flock to my work in droves, clamoring for a signature that
would increase the book’s inherent value. My naivete was obviously showing.
Book signings can be very strange events, especially as an unknown with a published work about the Recovery
process.
But then, there are the gems hidden in the nooks and crannies of the Recovery world.  
I was privy to one of those nooks, and it was just delightful!

Amylynn Karnbach has a lovely shop in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware geared toward the 22 million in recovery.  
While I doubt all of them will frequent her business, those who do are the precise audience my work needs.
Amylynn had an open house to celebrate her first year in business and invited me to tell stories and do a book
signing.  It was a beautiful spring day, and Amylynn had set up the patio entrance for a garden party, complete
with chairs, tables, and abundant food. As the afternoon wore on, people drifted in and out of the store, and I
drifted in and out of the storytelling. I told the stories from the book as an unabashed effort at promotion.
Books were sold, and signed, connections were made, and a good time was had by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment